1. Practice for the BIG day and feel COMFORTABLE!
– How often are you in front of the camera for eight hours? Probably not very often. And for those who aren’t used to being chased by the paparazzi, being in front of the camera can be a little nerve wracking. An engagement session is the perfect type of practice! Engagement sessions are usually about two hours, with your fiance(e) and it’s a great time to capture images that reflect you as a couple. You can be silly, fun, mushy – whatever is YOU.
2. Announce your engagement
– Are you sending out Save the Dates? Save the Dates with a photo are a great way for your guests to have a small memento of your upcoming wedding. Personally, we sent out magnets with one of our engagement photos. We’ve spotted our magnets on the fridges of friends and family, and we were married almost two years ago!
3. Have photos for your wedding day
– Looking for a unique way of having a guestbook? Personally, I think there are more fun ways to have your guests let you know they were at your wedding than the traditional book with lines. An engagement album is a great way to showcase your engagement photos and also have guests leave you notes. It’s more like a yearbook than just a guestbook. Remember those notes you’d write at the end of the year? Same thing goes here!
4. Make it a date
– If you’re in the thick of wedding planning, your engagement session can be the perfect date night! You’re getting all dolled up anyway, why not make it a night out. I typically shoot my engagement sessions in the two hours or so before sunset, which leaves you with an evening to go to your favorite restaurant, go play a round (or two!) of miniature golf, or just spend quality time together NOT wedding planning.
5. Get to know your photographer
– Chances are you have only met your photographer for the initial consultation. Engagement sessions are the perfect opportunity to get to know your photographer better, in a casual setting. You’ll get to know their shooting style, what it’s like to work with them, and you can feel great about having them photograph you on your wedding day. Hey, you may even become fast friends.
Check out other wedding vendors offering Thursday Tips:
Every Last Detail | Bow Ties & Bliss | Love, Milk & Honey | Little Bit Heart |
The Oceanside Bride | Soundtrack To I Do | Shay Cochrane Photography | Stremel Photography
- Share this with brides you know!
- Subscribe to our new monthly e-zine: tips from the best in the industry on creating a stress-free wedding that honors your relationship and, most importantly, building a lasting wonderful marriage. Leave a comment below or click here to sign up.
- See more inside scoop with other posts on wedding advice for brides & grooms here.