This blog post is brought to you by the FREE wifi at Panera Bread.
I’m excited to report that we are MOVED IN!
Of course, that simply means that we shoved everything into the house. It’s still kind of a disaster zone. But now we have furniture to sit on and a bed to sleep on. It makes such a huge difference though.
Saturday, or “pre-furniture” day, we waited for the cable guy to come. As is standard, the cable company gave us a window of time that the cable guy might show up. And of course, it was at the END of the window that he finally arrived. While we waited, we leaned on the counters, tried sitting on the tile floor, and laid down on the carpeted bedroom floor. Nothing compares to actual chairs or couches. Things that were meant to be sat on. Just saying, I’m THANKFUL for the invention of chairs.
Since our move wasn’t of epic proportion (i.e. cross country or hours away), it was 15 minutes down the same main drag, our move wasn’t terrible. I’d like to call it our “Frugally Fabulous” move. During the week I’d go over to the house with suitcases full of clothes, boxes with dishes, and a Glad trash bag full of shoes. Yes, we were stylin’ with the Glad bags. The neighbors probably thought I was leaving Cent or something, little did they know we were Moving OUT! I packed up boxes from my move to Texas that I had never unpacked. Sunday we rented the U-Haul and we should have listened to HGTV, and reserved the bigger truck. Make fewer trips. Thankfully, Cent’s friends from my flag football team came to do the heavy lifting, and I, you know, supervised.
So, we are moved in.
And we have places to sit.
Here’s my advice to moving in a Frugally Fabulous way:
- If you can move gradually like we did, move over all the items (clothes, dishes, stereos) that don’t require a U-Haul.
- If you’re frugally fabulous like us, resuse boxes, bubble wrap, and packing paper.
- Bring over a stool or small chair. You’ll be happy you did.
- Rent the bigger U-Haul. Less wedging of furniture. Fewer trips. Less headaches.
- Enlist the help of friends. Thank them and feed them pizza.
- Clean your new home prior to moving in. The Swiffer line of cleaning products rocks!
- Check out Craigslist for people giving away moving boxes.
- Bring a roll of toilet paper. You’ll thank yourself later. (Thanks Eileen for the tip!)