PERSONAL

The Skinny Jeans Dilemma

11.10.2010

I’m not what you’d call a fashionista. I usually choose comfort over style, but of course, do my best to look like I dress thoughtfully. In other words, I try my best to avoid looking frumpy. Because no one likes frumpiness. I’ve watched enough Clinton and Stacy on What Not to Wear to know better.

However, I recently bought new boots. Cowboy boots to be precise. (That’s a whole post of its own.) And I’m in love. They are super comfortable (now that I’ve broken them in), they give me a little more height, and I can wear them with jeans or with a skirt or dress. Well, I somehow got it in my head, that I’d like to also wear them with jeans that I can tuck into the boot.

Thus, the quest for a pair of skinny jeans.

So yesterday, on the way home from lunch with Lora Ayers (who has a pretty new site!), I went to go try some skinny jeans on. And some jeggings (jeans+leggings). Oh what an adventure…of the most uncomfortable kind! Ironically, they were too loose, I think due to ill-design and construction, so when I put my boots on, the jeans were decidedly bunchy. Not a good look.

And let me just say now, that skinny jeans and “jeggings” (as termed this season) are torture devices for fluffier girls like me. I think they were named “skinny” jeans for a reason. But, I’m determined. I’m going to find a pair that work for me.

So today, I tried another store. To me, the jeggings looked terrible because they are made mostly of knit fabric made to look like denim. And they are like leggings, and cling to every curve, line, and dimple, if you know what I mean. However, when I tried on the skinny jeans, there was a glimmer of hope. Because they are actually made from denim, they have more structure. Unfortunately, they weren’t quite the ones.

OH. EM. GEE. Who knew this would be so difficult?

I’ll be the first to admit that I never thought I’d ever have any interest in skinny jeans. But then boots came into the picture, and the search began. Do you have any tips or suggestions for shopping for this elusive fitting pant? Help me Internet friends! Leave them in the comments box! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Amy Pittsinger 11.10.2010 at 3:10 pm

I got a great pair of skinny jeans at Old Navy! And they were cheap!!!

• Reply Stephie 11.10.2010 at 3:16 pm

Every time I attempt to try on skinny jeans, they don’t go passed my calves. Stupid man calves. Don’t give in! Resist the skinnies!

• Reply Cynthia 11.10.2010 at 3:20 pm

The ONLY pair of skinny jeans I own came from GAP and I too found some boots that made me feel the need to purchase a pair.. AND yes.. the skinny jean and jegging look was invented to make us not model thin people feel like cows… :)

• Reply Jess 11.10.2010 at 3:25 pm

Hey! Good luck!! Took me forever to find a pair too, finally got some “stretchy skinny jeans/jeggings” at kohls – elle brand

• Reply Ashley 11.10.2010 at 3:43 pm

Let me know when you find a good pair. :) I am on the hunt as well.

• Reply Krystle 11.10.2010 at 3:45 pm

i have a couple pairs, and i love to wear them with boots. i think the trick is to find some skinny jeans that are stretchy, but not necessarily jeggings. i’ve had mine for a while so i don’t remember where i got them from. good luck with your search, OG! =)

• Reply Leslie 11.10.2010 at 3:54 pm

First off; LOL to Stephie!! I know -exactly- what you mean!! I have big calves and yes, cankles..ugh. My friend Shawna and I tried on some jeggings and they didn’t look -too- bad…though you REALLY have to find the right top with them. No stretchy sweater dresses if you have hips (like myself). Go with more of an a-line top..something that flows away from your hips/butt. Keep trying! I think I will.

• Reply arden jenkins 11.10.2010 at 3:55 pm

You are so cute. I much prefer the perfect fitting skinny jeans over jeggings!
    I love the Banana and Loft ones!!
    I also caught them on sale – $10 at Loft, no lie and probably $20 at banana.

• Reply Catie 11.10.2010 at 9:03 pm

@Arden: Basically, after two days of trying on (and peeling off) jeggings are the most ridiculous things ever invented. And so is the name.

• Reply Lydia 11.10.2010 at 4:01 pm

I know your agony! I have to buy them tighter than I like because they stretch out so much. I also got a higher rise this time, and they’re so much more comfy. You just have to keep on trying on pair after pair until you find the perfect ones!

• Reply Catie 11.10.2010 at 9:02 pm

@Lydia: Right?! I tried on a pair yesterday and they were too loose to even be called “skinny” jeans… I was like, I need these to be tighter if they are going to stretch anyway.

• Reply jenberry 11.10.2010 at 4:43 pm

oh do tell!?!!? my dilemma too. the boots.

• Reply Lora Ayers 11.10.2010 at 5:33 pm

Come on girl!! You can do it!! Try Kohl’s Daisy Fuentes brand! :) Long shirt (plaid is really cute with cowboy boots) and throw on some accessories!!!! you will rock it!!!

• Reply Catie 11.10.2010 at 9:00 pm

@Lora: I just started my search, I’ll be taking your suggestions fo sho!

• Reply Stefanie Hampton Morrow 11.10.2010 at 5:34 pm

Isn’t is amazing how far we go for “that” outfit when we find a PERFECT pair of shoes?!?!? Keep searching, I know you will rock it out when you find that perfect pair! :)

• Reply Mary Cyrus 11.10.2010 at 7:31 pm

I’m pretty much skinny as a rail, but I can’t find skinny jeans or jeggings that fit either. It’s like they think skinny = flat behind. Just because I’ve got a little waist doesn’t mean I have no thighs and don’t need a little tailoring for the tush. I literally couldn’t find a pair that I could get past my thighs. That’s alright. I’m sure boot cut jeans look better on me anyway.