PERSONAL

The Moving Chronicles: Thinking Before We Eat

01.25.2010

Two weeks ago, I mentioned that we’d be going vegetarian until the end of the month. Well, we’re in the home stretch. And I’m not going to lie, it’s been tough. Going to the supermarket and seeing the meat aisle. As a self-proclaimed steak lover, it was hard.  Although, not as difficult as I imagined it would be.

Cent and I have had Food Inc. in our Netflix queue for a couple of months now and we hadn’t watched it yet. Until this weekend. We figured this would be the perfect opportunity to watch.

Wow.  Food Inc. is so good. Everyone should see this movie at one point or another. It’s an eye-opening account of where our food comes from in the United States. I guess I didn’t really realize how the agricultural industry has been taken over by big business. It’s very well made, thought provoking, and not preachy. While there were a few parts I had to close my eyes for, it was really good. It urges consumers to be more conscious of their food choices.

At the end of the documentary, Cent said, “Buy organic.” I never expected to hear these words from him!

So to make a more conscious effort about what we put on our plates and put in our mouths, I’ve researched some local options.

For those in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, here are a few farmer’s market options:

Dallas Farmers Market: Open 7 days a week, 8:00am – 6:00pm | 1010 S. Pearl Expressway, Dallas, TX 75201

Cowtown Farmers Market: Open Wednesdays and Saturdays, 8:00am – 12:00pm |  3821 Southwest Blvd, Fort Worth, TX 76116

Sprouts Famers Market: Open daily, 8:00am – 10:00pm | Multiple locations in the DFW area.

And there’s also Whole Foods. Funnily enough, I’ve still NEVER been in that store. I guess I now have an excellent excuse to go hit one up!

Do you know where your food is coming from?

CONTACT CATIE | VIEW PORTFOLIO | SUBSCRIBE to the BLOG

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

You Might Also Like

4 Comments

• Reply Lynn 01.25.2010 at 12:29 pm

Hi Catie! I’ve never seen that movie, b/c I’m not sure I want to be grossed out! May I also suggest Central Market? That is where we shop for all our food. I think it has the best produce and meats, and less expensive then Whole Foods! You can definitely buy organic there, and grass fed beef (whenever you decide to go back to meets!)

• Reply Karyn 01.25.2010 at 12:48 pm

My parents and extended family raise beef and dairy cattle and farm, and my brother’s family has a small produce farm. I’ve been meaning to see this movie to kind of compare what I know from my experiences to what else is going on. There is also a great Farmers Market in North Richland Hills on Rufe Snow (north of 820) that sells the BEST fresh salsa and dried mangos. yum!

• Reply Jess 01.25.2010 at 12:50 pm

Whole Foods produce can often be priced well. They also stock some local fruits and veggies which is nice – much harder for us to find in the winter on the east coast, but you might find it as tough.

• Reply mercy bell 01.25.2010 at 3:52 pm

Great post! This movie rocks!