PERSONAL

Fun with Fruits and Vegetables

01.11.2010

If you’ve been reading my blog, you know that I like to share little snippets of my personal life. Last week I posted about how I’ll be taking a break from desserts and sweet stuff and getting in shape and making changes in 2010.

Well, for the rest of the month of January Cent and I will be living a meat-free life. And I can hear echoes of shock from my family as they read this, since they know how much of a carnivore I am. Hey, I won’t pretend, I’m a big fan of meat. Hamburgers, steaks, chicken nuggets, turkey…yummm. I learned how to eat steak in France, when we lived there for three years, and it’s become a regular staple in our meals.

So why the change?

Well, to start off the year with a kick, we’re doing a 21-day fast, which includes eliminating meat and focusing on whole foods, such as whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. And I’ll be the first to admit that I need to eat more vegetables. Like 26 years worth of daily vegetables.

I’ve also heard that the movie Food, Inc. is a great, eye-opening documentary about where our food comes from. We haven’t seen it yet, but it’s in our Netflix Instant Queue, so we may watch it while we are vegetarians for the rest of the month.

So blog readers, I’m asking for your help. Since I’m a total novice when it comes to this no-meat thing, please comment below with your best vegetarian recipes and any tips you might have for the transition.

We’re going until January 31 to start. We’ll see how it goes. Maybe longer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

You Might Also Like

8 Comments

• Reply Kathleen Burkhalter 01.11.2010 at 2:22 pm

This is the jazzed up web site of my favorite vegan doc. Try the Morningstar products!

• Reply Otto Rascon 01.11.2010 at 2:23 pm

Go Catie! I love meat too much to put an end to it, though Food Inc was fascinating and compelling. The best vegetarian dish I can cook up is a bowl full of Cheerios with Soy milk. I know, lame… I hope you do great!

• Reply Auntie Eewie 01.11.2010 at 3:01 pm

What a great challenge! Buy a Jack Lalane Power juice extractor if you haven’t already. Juicing will get you far!!! =)

• Reply Alicia Stepp-Woody 01.11.2010 at 3:20 pm

Good for you Catie! I’ve been vegetarian (and partly vegan) for going on 6 years now and I’ve never felt healthier. I would love to help you with any concerns or questions you might have. It’s a great diet health-wise AND morally. One of my favorite vegetarian dishes is whole wheat pasta with red sauce and eggplant “meat”balls (simple and easy), also the mock chicken salad that they make at Whole Foods is so good. YUM YUM. But yes, I can give you tips on good restaurants with healthy vegetarian (and vegan) options too, so please let me know of any questions you might have! And good luck!! See you tonight. :)

• Reply Mom 01.11.2010 at 3:39 pm

Good for you……. Hope it’s not permanent!! LOL!!!

• Reply Stephie 01.11.2010 at 5:08 pm

if you do this permanently.. then we’re definitely not related. just remember: chicken curry. rear steak. in-n-out.

• Reply whitney elizabeth 01.11.2010 at 11:09 pm

YAY! so glad you’re doing this!! i used to be very carnivorous too but I read the Food Inc book, saw the documentary and read “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,” “Omnivore’s Dilemma,” and “In Defense of Food,” (plus several others) and you can’t help but change how you eat. I’m going to try and put together some veggie-tastic meals for you because at first (one year ago) it was hard for my and my husband to imagine eating without meat but now that we’ve been doing it for so long, vegetarian meals have become easy to create without thinking, plus it’s true: the more you eat veggies/fruit the more you learn to like/love it…took me a few months but it finally happened!!!!! yay!!!!

• Reply Tamara 01.12.2010 at 9:34 am

I commonly eat vegetarian, though I’m not one. I like to make fun salads but mix in avocado and nuts to get the protein I need. Sesame Ginger dressing is always yummy and helps add some flavor when you’re burnt out.