After a process that lasted almost two months, we are proud to announce that we are officially home owners!
One of the great things about living in Texas is the cost of living. Having worked and lived in California, it’s a total eye-opening experience to see the drastic difference in the cost of living, especially in the housing market. Honestly, I think Californians pay for the weather, because there’s nothing quite like it. I do miss the weather back home, but I don’t miss the price tags on homes.
I really didn’t think that we’d be buying a home so soon after our wedding. So soon after I moved to Dallas. But it was possible! And we are thrilled.
Tips for going through the home purchasing process:
- Set up a budget and a goal. Use an online budget tool like Mint.com to track your cashflow.
- Save your money! Set up a savings account where you can automatically deposit funds on a desired schedule. It can add up quickly.
- Find a realtor who has your best interest in mind. Get referrals.
- Ask your realtor questions about the neighborhood, the school system, entertainment, and crime. You need to know!
- Keep all your documents from the home purchasing process filed and together.
- Patience is a virtue for a reason. You need a lot of patience when purchasing a home.
Tips for after the closing process is over (aka you bought a home):
- Find out from your realtor how you get your keys.
- Schedule activation of the utilities. If you live in Texas, click here.
- Shop for appliances that don’t come with the property. Typically, washer/dryers and fridges aren’t included.
- Get your new home cleaned (i.e. carpet cleaning, hardwood floor waxed, etc) before you move furniture in.
- Assess any fixes that need to be addressed — like holes in the wall or switch plates that need to be purchased.
And so begins weekly (maybe daily!) trips to The Home Depot. We’ve already made our first inaugural trip for some supplies. I think I’ll be asking Santa for gift cards to Home Depot. Never thought I’d say that.
Powered by Facebook Comments